Saturday, January 27, 2007

THIRD CONDITIONAL CLAUSE

1.ANSWER OR COMPLETE OR REWRITE THE SENTENCES.
If I had learnt more, _______________________________________________________
She would have read the book if _____________________________________________
I didn't call him. So he went out without me.
_____________________________________________________________________________
What do you think would have happened if you had followed your parents' advice?
_______________________________________________________________________________
We went to Greece for our end-of-class trip. I fell in love there.
_______________________________________________________________________________

2.THE RULE:
Third conditional clauses are contrary to: A the present fact, B the past fact, C the future fact.
The structure in the main clause is: would + _____________ + A: Present, B Past Participle. The verb in an if-clause is in the form of the Past ______________ Tense.
What is the translation in Slovene? A: preteklik, B pogojnik.

2 comments:

tadeja said...

THIRD conditional clause
1.
If I had learnt more, I would have known more about History.
She would have read the book if it had been real interesting.
If I had called him, he would have gone out with me.
My arm would not have been broken, if I had followed my parents' advice.
If I had gone to Greece for our end-of-class trip, I would have fallen in love there.

2.
Third conditional clauses are contrary to B - the past fact.
The structure in the main clause is: would + have + B - Past Participle.
The verb in an if-clause is in the form of the Past Perfect Tense.
The translation in Slovene is B - pogojnik.

Unknown said...

1.
a)If I had learnt more, I would have passed re-examination.
b)She would have read the book if she hadn`t been in hospital.
c)If I had called him, he wouldn`t have gone out without me.
d)If I followed my parent`s advice, I would have visited gymnasium Kranj.
e)Unless we had gone to Greece for our end-of-class trip, I wouldn`t have fallen in love.

2.
a) b - the past fact
b) would + have + V3(-ed)/b
c) Past Perfect / Past Perfect Continous
d) b - pogojnik